We provide our clients with regular updates on changes in taxation regulation, news from the world of accounting and, of course, information about the latest developments at ULM Limited.

You may find out about other changes in a consultation at our office.

Instructions for recording payroll on weekly business records

Updated on 02-04-2012


Instruction 1: Please check if all your employees (including full-time, part-time and casual workers) are listed on table B.


Instruction 2: Please check whether the average number of hours worked by each employee per week on table B is correct.


Instruction 3: Please check whether the pay rate per hour on table B is correct. (Note: the pay rate used is the minimum statutory rate per hour; please let us know if you want to pay your employee at a higher rate)


Instruction 4: Please write a number on your Weekly record sheet based on the PAYE tax week on table A .


“For an example, week ended 6th April 2013 is week number 1, as shown on the said schedule. Therefore, on your record sheets for week ended 6th April 2013, you need to label as ‘Week 1’. For week ended 13th April 2013, on your record sheets, you need to label as ‘Week 2’, and so forth.” Instruction 5: Please record the Net Pay of each employee shown on table B on your Weekly record sheet.

Here is your new tax code for 2013-14

Updated on 06/02/2013


Check it, read the notes and keep it safe

Your employer or pension provider will use it from 6 April 2013

You need to check that your new tax code is on your payslip after 6 April 2013


Why do I need a new tax code?

You need a tax code so your employer or pension provider can take the right amount of tax off your income.


Some people get more than one tax code

If you have more than one job, or a job and a pension, we may send you a tax code for each one. You don’t need to contact us if you get more than one code.


Why is there a delay between the date shown on the code and the date I received it through the post?

This is normal and there is no need to contact us. These codings are created as part of a computerised process and are sent out to customers in batches rather than immediately.


Do I need to do anything now?

No. Not, unless you think your tax code is wrong. If so, phone us and have your income details and National Insurance number ready. If you have an agent tell them you have a new code.


My circumstances have changed – what do I do now?

Let us know if you:

• change your name or address evenif you have already told your employer or pension provider.

• start or finish getting taxable benefits from your employer – such as a company car or medical insurance. 

For more information on how and when to report changes to us go to www.hmrc.gov.uk/report-changes


I think I am due a repayment for last year

PAYE has an automatic end-of-year process which works out if you have paid too much or too little tax. If you have, we will send you a P800 Tax Calculation.

You can use the tax checker calculator atwww.hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/stc.htm

Online Source: Available at:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/guidance/p2flyer.pdf [06 Feb 2013]

PAYE (Pay As You Earn) in real time: an overview of what's changed

Updated on 15/01/2013


From April 2013 employers and pension providers will report their

payroll information to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) in a new way.


They will send HMRC information about any payments and deductions they make to employees or pension recipients each time they are made,


Payroll software will simply collect the information and send it to HMRC online. This will replace the requirement to complete an annual return of PAYE tax and National Insurance contributions.


The vast majority of employers will be making PAYE returns in real time from April 2013, and all employers will be routinely reporting information in real time before October 2013.


Online Source: Available at:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rti/payerealtime.htm [15 Jan 2013].

Self-employed NIC penalties

Updated on 15/01/2013


From 6 April 2009 there is a change in the penalty to pay for late notification to the HMRC that you have commenced self-employment.

Up to 6 April 2009 the penalty was £100 and you had 3 months after commencement of trade to let HMRC know.


From 6 April 2009 the rules have been changed as follows:

  1. Anyone who ceases or becomes liable for Class 2 or Class 3 contributions must notify HMRC immediately.
  2. A penalty may be levied (between 30% and 100% of the "lost contributions") if notice is not given by 31 January following the end of the tax year in which you become liable.
  3. There will be no penalty if you have a reasonable excuse for the late notification.